Senior Vice President for Communications, Branding and Marketing (Volunteer)
Reports to: Office of the President and CEO, Founder
Position Status: Volunteer (unpaid)
Time Commitment: As needed, when available
About HBCU Campaign Fund
Founded in 2012, HBCU Campaign Fund (HCF) is a non-profit advocacy educational organization that is mission to support the significance and raises funds to provide scholarships, initiative programming, and for private and public HBCUs and MSIs. HCF today remains as a strong advocate for students and higher education.
Position Overview & Basic Function:
The Senior Vice President for Communications, Branding and Marketing is responsible for the organization’s communications, branding, marketing, media and public relations, campaign promotion, market research, issues management, crisis communication, and marketing-related customer relationship and engagement activities, all essential to enhancing the organization’s brand reputation and community support. Directs the activities of staff and volunteers in maximizing marketing opportunities that positively position HCF as a leader and convener of multiple community partners to achieve HCF’s strategic goals. The Senior Vice President of Communications, Branding and Marketing (SVP) reports to the President and CEO, Founder and serves as a key member of the Executive and Leadership team. The SVP will work in close alignment with his or her peers leading the branding and marketing communications surrounding the organization as a whole and HCF fundraising functions to:
– Drive the overall brand awareness of the organization and its mission;
– Increase visibility of the organization’s community work among various stakeholders;
– Create innovative ways to engage corporate and individual contributors;
– Attach contributors to programming that excites their interests and deepens their loyalties; and
– Build a culture where the marketing, development and programming functions collaborate and drive decisions informed by reliable market-tested data.
The SVP of Communications, Branding and Marketing plays a key strategic role in the organization’s programming and fundraising. This position is responsible for communicating the organization’s mission, vision and community work to various stakeholders and plays a creative and strategic role in shaping HCF’s marketing strategy. Specifically, the SVP will be expected to:
- Develop strategic marketing plans to support the organization’s mission, goals, and objectives, including positioning, market and competitive analysis;
- Create and execute innovative marketing and public relations strategies, including both traditional and social media, to guide HCF leadership in cultivating and enhancing relationships with the organization’s key audiences which include donors, key stakeholders, community leaders and partners, the media and the general public;
- Develop and implement an integrated marketing and communications plan to advance HCF’s brand identity, broaden and increase the visibility of its initiative programs and build a strong public voice;
- Partner with the Executive and Leadership Team to develop and implement an internal communications strategy across multiple channels;
- Oversee all aspects of communications and marketing, including branding, advertising, special events, collateral materials, direct mail, email, sponsorship and partner development, etc.;
- Lead and oversee the organization’s website development (design and content), online and social media initiatives; monitor analytics and usage;
- Oversee all aspects of public relations, including media relations and community relations;
- Plan and execute media campaigns and advertising buys. Ensure consistency of key messages and brand identity. Track return on investment of media buys; Manage HCF’s brand across all internal divisions to ensure continuity;
- Act as Staff Liaison to the Board’s Communications and Marketing Committee; and
- Prepare monthly statistical and descriptive reports on the Division’s goals and performance;
- Recruit and manage a communications and marketing team that support the development and implementation of the marking and communications strategic plan;
- Manage and supervise Division staff, including writing annual performance evaluations and ensuring staff training and development; and Be responsible for the effective operations of the Division of Communications, Branding and Marketing function, including budgeting and planning.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred in related field and/or a minimum of five years of
related experience in communications, marketing, public relations, business or related field;
- Minimum of five years in a senor management role, holding progressively responsible positions in communications and marketing, or public relations for nonprofit, corporate, and/or agency organizations;
- A strong communicator able to interface with variety of audience, both internal and external;
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills and the credibility and poise to present to a wide range of stakeholders;
- Proven success at developing and implementing digital marketing and social media strategies to enhance visibility, engagement and loyalty;
- Superior management skills, including the ability to advocate for and manage to budget priorities;
- Experience building, leading and mentoring a team of communication and marketing specialists;
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plan and results;
- Presence and confidence to project credibility to staff, senior leaders, Board of Directors, media and stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, handle pressure and meet deadlines; Proficient with Microsoft Office applications (e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook) with solid understanding of key communication and marketing tools (e.g. Web Content Management Systems, WordPress, email systems, Google Analytics, and other web metrics, Adobe Creative Suite, among others); and
- Enthusiasm for the mission of HCF, students, HBCUs, MSIs, and higher education.
- Gain experience working with an HBCU advocacy non-profit organization
- Stipend or salary allowance may be given, when available
Applicants must apply online. Click the button below to complete the application. Please include a cover letter of interest and resume.