Morrison Hall, built in 1924, is one of the five buildings within the Agricultural and Technical College of North Carolina National Register historic district in Greensboro, North Carolina. The College will receive funding for its preservation.

WASHINGTON – The National Park Service (NPS) announced on April 24, 2020, $7.7 million in grants to 18 projects in 12 states for the preservation of historic structures on campuses of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). Since the 1990s, the National Park Service has awarded more than $60 million in grants to over 80 of the remaining active HBCUs, according to a press release by NPS.

“These grants help us to honor the legacy of HBCUs in serving our nation’s higher education needs,” said David Vela, National Park Service Deputy Director. “Funding awarded this year will help preserve 18 historic properties on HBCU campuses in 12 states, many of which are listed in the National Register.”

Projects funded by these grants will support the physical preservation of National Register listed sites on HBCU campuses to included historic districts, buildings, sites, structures, and objects. Eligible costs include pre-preservation studies, architectural plans and specifications, historic structure reports, and the repair and rehabilitation of historic properties according to the Secretary of the Interior’s Standard for Archaeology and Historic Preservation.

Congress appropriates funding for the program through the Historic Preservation Fund (HPF). The HPF uses revenue from federal oil leases on the Outer Continental Shelf, providing assistance for a broad range preservation projects without expending tax dollars.

Projects receiving grants this year will preserve stories, resources, and places like the Samuel T. Graves Hall at Morehouse College in Atlanta, GA; the University Memorial Chapel at Morgan State University in Baltimore, MD; and the Historic Carnegie Library at Livingstone College in Salisbury, NC.

For more information about the grants and the Historically Black Colleges and Universities program, please visit . Applications for $10 millions in FY2020 funding will be available in the fall of 2020.

Historically Black College and University Awards:

StateProjectsGranteeAward
Alabama
Fairfield
Williams Hall Historic Preservation ProjectMiles College$499,869
Georgia
Atlanta
Samuel T. Graves Hall Exterior Repair and Restoration ProjectMorehouse College$500,000
Louisiana
Baton
Rouge
Preservation of the Archives BuildingSouthern University and A&M College$499,938
Louisiana
Grambling
University Memorial Chapel Window PreservationMorgan State University $500,000
Mississippi
Jackson
Preservation of the Historic Mt. Olive CemeteryJackson State University$496,023
North Carolina
Greensboro
Dudley Memorial Building Renovation ProjectNorth Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University$500,000
North Carolina
Greensboro
Morrison and Murphy Hall UpdatesNorth Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University$266,068
North Carolina
Salisbury
Preservation of the Historic Andrew Carnegie LibraryLivingstone College$500,000
Ohio
Wilberforce
Conversion of the Power Plant to the Frank Murphy Student Success CenterCentral State University$500,000
Oklahoma
Oklahoma City
Historic Cottage Row District Preservation ProjectLangston University$473,820
South Carolina
Columbia
Pratt Hall Preservation ProjectBenedict College$500,000
South Carolina
Orangeburg
The SCSU Forensic Analysis/Assessment of Wilkinson Hall ProjectSouth Carolina State University$50,000
South Carolina
Orangeburg
Trustee Hall Preservation and Restoration InitiativeClaflin University$446,569
Texas
Tyler
The Rehabilitation of the D.R. Glass LibraryTexas College$500,000
Virginia
Lynchburg
Preservation of Humbles Hall Phase IIVirginia University of Lynchburg$499,713
West Virginia
Bluefield
President’s House Renovation ProjectBluefield State College – Applied Research Foundation of West Virginia$68,000
Total$7,760,00

About the National Park Service

About the National Park Service. More than 20,000 National Park Service employees care for America’s 419 national parks and work with communities across the nation to help preserve local history and create close-to-home recreational opportunities. Learn more at www.nps.gov.

The Rosenwald Building still stands on the Prentiss Institute campus as of 2016. [ Photo courtesy of http://themississippilink.com ]
Prentiss Normal and Industrial Institute, one of the oldest educational institutions for African-American in the state of Mississippi. Established in 1907 in Jefferson Davis County by Jonas Edward “J.E.” Johnson (1873-1953) a graduate of Alcorn Agricultural and Mechanical College, and his wife Bertha LaBranche Johnson (1882-1971) a graduate of Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute. Professor J.E. Johnson and his wife borrowed funds to purchase 40-arce site where the school originated, and started the school in a log cabin which served a dual purpose by providing living quarters for the Johnson family and classrooms for the school.

The mission of Prentiss Institute was to provide educational opportunities which would enable its students to develop spiritually, mentally and physically so that they would become productive and responsible citizens who would render effective services to the community.

When Prentiss Institute originally opened in 1907, the school only offered elementary classes but soon the curriculum expanded once Prentiss Institute was licensed by the state of Mississippi as a private high school in 1909 and as a private junior college in 1931. The high school and junior college experienced rapid growth with a peak enrollment of more than 700 students and 44 faculty members. The campus grew from the original 40-acres to 500-acres to include farmland, a pasture and forest and the physical plant grew from one building to 24 buildings to accommodate increased student enrollment.

In 1912, the U.S. Department of Agriculture placed the first local county agent at Prentiss Institute to perform demonstrations and render service to the county. This enhanced the agriculture program at the institution, and aided in expanding the vocational curriculum.

Prentiss Institute is known for the Heifer Project, Inc. which begun in 1955, though it had been an international project for years, it had not functioned in the United States prior to its establishment on the campus. The project provided a means to improve the school’s farm, by constructing and operating a diary. Through this program, the student body received an abundance of beef and pasteurized milk at a low-cost.

In 1968, a new Building Program was launched attributed to the income generated through tuition and alumni donations which helped Prentiss Institute Junior College to grown its physical plant and academic programs. The Ruby E. Sims Lyells Library was erected in 1968, Ransom Olds Hall was built-in 1969, and the William “Bill” Crosby Cafeteria was completed in 1972.

The Institute was awarded a grant from the National Science Foundation that provided for a Science Laboratory, a lecture hall and a Media Center in 1974. It was also in the 1970’s that Prentiss Institute entered into cooperative education programs to enhance the skills of vocational students, and built the Physical Education Complex. During this time the college received a grant from the state of Mississippi to conduct a child development program.

As funding and student enrollment dropped. Prentiss Institute was forced to close its doors in 1989. For many years the campus sat deserted and the buildings abandoned until the Prentiss Institute Board of Trustees, under the leadership of Ms. Rosie Hooker, began a restoration project that included many of the buildings on campus. Today the early school location is a museum recognized as the “1907 Building” and the Little Theatre, Science Building and Library are again being utilized by the community.

The Rosenwald School Building was reopened with a grand celebration in February 2013. Today the Rosenwald Building at Prentiss Institute is a popular event venue for a multitude of special events. It is recognized as a historic landmark by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History and is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

CHICAGO, IL – The HBCU Campaign Fund (HCF) organization and its Ronald Baba Kwesi Harris Division of Historical Records re-kicks off its ‘107 Days of HBCU History’ campaign celebrating the founders and values of why Historically Black Colleges and Universities are very vital to today’s society and its founding mission.

The campaign is sponsored by HCF’s Ronald Kwesi Harris Division of Historical Records and will start on September 3, 2017 and last for approximately 107 days until each HBCU history is displayed. The campaign will also featured spotlight of notable alums and other historical facts that is found interesting and important to know and reflect on. The short history bio’s will be shared through the Division of Historical Records social media handles and will be added to the Division’s section of HCF’s website at www.hbcucampaignfund.org/divisions/historicalrecords/107daysofhbcuhistory.

You  soon will be able to find the day by day schedule of which day which HBCU will be featured soon.

“I am thrilled of the idea of our Division of Historical Records for hosting this campaign to bringing more positive awareness and knowledge of the prestigious history of our Historically Black Colleges and Universities. As we approach Black History Month, I hope that this campaign educate our ethnicity and others about the importance of HBCU education. I hope it also other brings attention to college seeking students on their perspective on choosing to attend a HBCU. Please join, share and embrace on this paramount campaign.” said Demetrius Johnson, Jr., president and CEO, Founder of HCF.

You may join in on the campaign by following its official hashtag at #HCF107DaysofHBCUHistory and you can follow the Division of Historical Records on social media:

Twitter: @hcfdivhrecords

Instagram: @hcfdivofhistoricalrecords

Facebook: HCF Division of Historical Records

Website: www.hbcucampaignfund.org/divisions/historicalrecords

For more information about HCF 107 Days of HBCU History campaign, contact HCF at 773.988.2106 or support@hbcucampaignfund.org.